After winning the 1997 Boardman Tasker Award for his first book, Deep Play, climber Paul Pritchard used the prize money to kick off a world climbing tour in Tasmania, on a slender sea stack called the Totem Pole. However, a chance rockfall inflicted such terrible head injuries that Pritchard spent the next year in and out of hospitals, relearning basic thinking processes and muscle movements.
This insightful, firsthand chronicle of the accident and its aftermath portrays the physical and emotional ordeal of Pritchard's recovery. He weaves together accounts of earlier climbs, his changed relationships with family and friends and his girlfriend, Celia, and details about the rescue operation itself. And with an unpitying voice, Pritchard describes his return to the accident scene with a film crew to watch some of his friends complete the climb that changed his life.
* Winner of the 1999 Banff Mountain Book Festival Grand Prize
* Gripping mountaineering literature and inspirational, true-life drama
* Chronicles one athlete's struggle to give up the sport that defined his existence
By author: Paul Pritchard
Publisher: Mountaineers Books
Product Format: Hardback
- $5.99 standard shipping on New Zealand orders under $75
- Free NZ shipping on orders over $75
- Bulky and oversized items cost $85 to the North Island and $95 to the South Island
- $21.99 on all Australian orders
- We cannot ship bulky and oversized items to Australia
From time-to-time, there can be delays beyond our control. We will do everything within our power to ensure your goods arrive within a reasonable time frame. If you have any queries or issues relating to your order, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
We aim to process and dispatch your order as fast as possible, while in most cases this will happen within 24-72 hours, it can take up to 5 days, depending on what is ordered.
After dispatch, delivery is normally overnight within the South Island and 1-2 days within the North Island. Rural addresses could be upto an additional two days.
At this time, we do not offer urgent delivery as a standard freight option, however if you require your order urgently, please contact us before ordering to ensure that we can meet your delivery timeframe.
We aim to deliver your order within the following time-frames:
- North Island: 3-7 work days
- North Island rural: 3-7 work days
- South Island: 2-6 work days
- South Island rural: 2-6 work days
- Australia: 7–10 work days (metropolitan areas only
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.