Designed by Morgan Thompson of Ithaca, New York, and manufactured by Rock Exotica, the Unicender replaces the friction hitch, the figure 8, and the ascender. In the doubled rope technique (DbRT), the Unicender can be used as a mechanical 'hitch climber' in place of a friction hitch. The Unicender advances very smoothly in this configuration making rope climbing easier and faster. In the single rope technique (SRT), the Unicender takes the place of both ascenders and descender, preventing the climber from having to switch out hardware with every change in direction and thereby enabling SRT to be a viable working system and not just a canopy entry method. When descending, the Unicender can be used in either the “squeeze-to-go” configuration like a friction hitch or the “squeeze-to-stop” configuration like a figure 8, which makes it customizable according to each climber’s individual panic response. This incredible new device works by snaking the rope through the 'jaws' where smooth wear surfaces apply friction to the line. The Unicender advances easily and gives utmost control over the decent. The Unicender can be used with either 11mm or 12mm diameter line (up to 13 mm) without changing any parts, can be easily installed mid-line, and can be sent back to the factory to be rebuilt when the wear surfaces are worn out. Climbers using the Unicender consider this the best climbing hardware they have ever invested in!
- For both SRT and DdRT climbing technique
- Virtually no "Sit Back" while ascending
- Conveniently attaches midline
- Advances with minimal friction
- FOR EXPERTS ONLY
- Made in the USA
|Rope Ø||11-13 mm|
Due to COVID restrictions and freight disruption, online orders may take longer than usual to arrive. We’re doing all that we can to get them to you as soon as possible.
Also, due to COVID restrictions, depending on the alert/protection framework level in your area, contactless delivery may be required and couriers may leave parcels unattended on your property.
Please be aware that, in the event that a parcel goes missing, Gearshop will not be able to provide a replacement or refund where the courier is able to supply proof of delivery.
All charges are in New Zealand Dollars.
- $6.99 standard shipping on all New Zealand orders under $95
- Free NZ shipping on orders over $95, excluding certain oversized or heavy items
- A $85 (North Island) or $95 (South Island) shipping charge applies to each oversized or heavy item
- A $5 surcharge applies to all NZ rural or PO Box/Private Bag addresses
- A $10 surcharge applies to Chatham Islands and Waiheke Island addresses
- We cannot ship oversized or heavy items to Chatham Islands
- $24.99 shipping on all Australian orders
- Shipping charges to other international destinations range between $37.99 and $45
- We cannot ship oversized or heavy items internationally
We aim to process and dispatch your order as fast as possible. While in most cases this will happen within 24-72 hours, it can take up to 5 business days, depending on what is ordered.
After dispatch, delivery is normally overnight within the South Island and 1-2 business days within the North Island. Rural addresses could take up to an additional 2 business days.
At this time, we do not offer urgent delivery as a standard freight option, however if you require your order urgently, please contact us before ordering to ensure that we can meet your delivery timeframe.
We aim to deliver your order within the following timeframes:
- North Island: 3-7 business days
- North Island rural or PO Box/Private Bag: 3-7 business days
- Waiheke Island: 4-8 business days
- South Island: 2-6 business days
- South Island rural or PO Box/Private Bag: 2-6 business days
- Chatham Islands: 7-10 business days
- Oversized or heavy items: 5-7 business days to all NZ addresses (excluding Chatham islands)
Australia: 7–10 business days (metropolitan areas only).
Canada: 10 business days
Hong Kong: 10 business days
UK/Ireland: 10 business days
USA: 10 business days
From time-to-time, there can be delays beyond our control. We will do everything within our power to ensure that your goods arrive within a reasonable timeframe. If you have any queries or issues relating to your order, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.