The Stories: Author Mark Kroese gets 50 of the most accomplished climbers of this generation to reveal their all-time favorite climbing routes. Renowned climber Tony Yaniro reveals his personal challenges and controversies as he ascents Scirocco, east face of the Sorcerer at the Needles in California. More inside scoop from Roxanna Brock, Mark Twight, Jared Ogden and other great climbers proves a riveting read.
The Climbers: Each story includes a climber profile, garnered from hours of fascinating, thought-provoking, and often downright fun interviews. The climbers share personal anecdotes and offer their views on everything from ethics to style to training techniques. These well-crafted profiles give the reader a real sense of today's leading climbers.
The Routes: From Newfoundland to Yosemite, Mexico to British Columbia, the favorite routes offers excellent climbing, stunning views, wild exposure, or spectacular summits. Each one includes a summary, description of the approach, the route itself, and the descent, along with first-ascent information, ratings, time required, recommended equipment, best season, special considerations, and references.
* Author donates 25% of his proceeds from the book to the Access Fund
* 50 behind-the-climb stories
* 50 profiles of contemporary elite climbers
* 50 complete climbing route descriptions, many never published before
* Over 100 spectacular full-color photos
By author: Mark Kroese
Publisher: Mountaineers Books
Product Format: Paperback / softback
Due to COVID restrictions and freight disruption, online orders may take longer than usual to arrive. We’re doing all that we can to get them to you as soon as possible.
Also, due to COVID restrictions, depending on the alert/protection framework level in your area, contactless delivery may be required and couriers may leave parcels unattended on your property.
Please be aware that, in the event that a parcel goes missing, Gearshop will not be able to provide a replacement or refund where the courier is able to supply proof of delivery.
All charges are in New Zealand Dollars.
- $6.99 standard shipping on all New Zealand orders under $95
- Free NZ shipping on orders over $95, excluding certain oversized or heavy items
- A $85 (North Island) or $95 (South Island) shipping charge applies to each oversized or heavy item
- A $5 surcharge applies to all NZ rural or PO Box/Private Bag addresses
- A $10 surcharge applies to Chatham Islands and Waiheke Island addresses
- We cannot ship oversized or heavy items to Chatham Islands
- $24.99 shipping on all Australian orders
- Shipping charges to other international destinations range between $37.99 and $45
- We cannot ship oversized or heavy items internationally
We aim to process and dispatch your order as fast as possible. While in most cases this will happen within 24-72 hours, it can take up to 5 business days, depending on what is ordered.
After dispatch, delivery is normally overnight within the South Island and 1-2 business days within the North Island. Rural addresses could take up to an additional 2 business days.
At this time, we do not offer urgent delivery as a standard freight option, however if you require your order urgently, please contact us before ordering to ensure that we can meet your delivery timeframe.
We aim to deliver your order within the following timeframes:
- North Island: 3-7 business days
- North Island rural or PO Box/Private Bag: 3-7 business days
- Waiheke Island: 4-8 business days
- South Island: 2-6 business days
- South Island rural or PO Box/Private Bag: 2-6 business days
- Chatham Islands: 7-10 business days
- Oversized or heavy items: 5-7 business days to all NZ addresses (excluding Chatham islands)
Australia: 7–10 business days (metropolitan areas only).
Canada: 10 business days
Hong Kong: 10 business days
UK/Ireland: 10 business days
USA: 10 business days
From time-to-time, there can be delays beyond our control. We will do everything within our power to ensure that your goods arrive within a reasonable timeframe. If you have any queries or issues relating to your order, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.